Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Real Sugar Free Apple Pie, don't mind if I do...

From 1st grade until I graduated high school my family didn't eat sugar. We snuck it, no surprise there, but on the whole we were a sugar free, clean eating family. Yeah, we were cool before it was cool. ;) My mom still doesn't eat much sugar and tries to eat healthily. When I was on my own for the first time, I rebelled. I maniacally bought Jif peanut butter, Welches grape jelly, and thick white sandwich bread. I made a sandwich. A few months later I had to buy new jeans. Haha, yes the freshman 15 attached itself to my hips and held on for dear life.Since that time I have come to appreciate my mothers wisdom. My family and I eat pretty healthy with little processed food. But living with moderation in all things we do enjoy sweetness in our life and we make it count. But, sometimes I like to have the delicious taste without the sugar. So I make my mom's no sugar apple pie with no artificial sweeteners. Every pie auction growing up it was quickly snatched. And that is what I made the other day. I made it and did some blind taste testing within my family. Could they tell it had no sugar? Nope. One friend said she doesn't typically enjoy apple pie. Much to her surprise and my delight she loved it! The crust is perfectly homemade, buttery and flaky, the filling I bake to perfection, and I hand shape the crust and edges every time. Nothing store bought about this delight. Or any of my pies. Take one bite and you will also join my pie revolution! So, do you want some now?